Week 4

 February 14, 2022 - February 18, 2022

“Any teacher that can be replaced by a machine should be!” - Arthur C. Clarke

Do you think the computers  will replace teachers? 

I disagree that technology will replace teachers. Before Covid, digital teaching was not the primary way of educating children. Children learn best from visually viewing teacher's lessons. From experience, I also learn better in a classroom and not online. But, I do think technology should be incorporated in the classroom when learning. A teacher's job is to evaluate and guide children. This can be nearly impossible when we're all not in the classroom.

Conceptual Framework of Assessment 


What discoveries did you make while reading this article?

  1. Sometimes, teachers may think they have effectively got their lesson across to their students but in reality they need more explanation. This can be told by quiz and test performance.

  2. In order to understand where students are in the learning process, there are different ways to measure this such as providing essays where students can answer privately with their thoughts.

  3. It is very important for teachers to evaluate their students by providing a task that measures their understanding of the topics.

  4. Without teachers providing feedback, students would not be able to fix their mistakes. Feedback allows for self awareness and motivation to make improvements.

  5. Assessments are used for teachers to evaluate their students' prior knowledge. From there, teachers can plan their lessons accordingly.

  6. Types of Assessments:

    - Diagnostic (used to find out a students prior knowledge and skills on the upcoming topics)

    - Formative (teachers provide feedback)

    - Summative (summarize what students have learned in the unit)


    7 Keys to Effective Feedback

    1. Goal-Referenced 

    2. Tangible and Transparent

    3. Actionable

    4. User-Friendly

    5. Timely

    6. Ongoing

    7. Consistent



    Rubrics are very important for teachers to use and students to use as a guide. 


    Holistic Rubric: includes 3 - 5 performance levels with descriptions and definitions on what is expected from the students' work.


    Analytic Rubric: the characteristics are broken down into different categories/parts. This allows for the educator to provide the students with their strengths and weaknesses on the assignment.


    Single-Point Rubric: similar style to an analytic rubric but a single-point rubric describes criteria for proficiency.



    Explain/Evaluate

    Lesson 12 (Economic Theories)


    This lesson I chose was to evaluate was Lesson 12. The format of this lesson was a mini hyper doc. Included was a game (quizlet), on the definitions of economic systems, an article, a google form, a padlet, and a Google Earth activity. The hyper doc was separated into different categories where each of the online resources were put into use. The categories were: explore, explain, apply, reflect, and extend. Each of these categories provided me with different insight to this lesson. I found that using the quizlet is very beneficial because not only can you gain an understanding of the vocabulary terms for the topic of economic systems, but you can then create a test to evaluate the students' learning. I definitely will be using quizlet in my future classroom. Similar to a quizlet test, Google Form is used to test the strengths and weaknesses of the information and knowledge a student now has from learning this new topic. Also, I think having an article in the lesson plan is a good way to incorporate information about the topic a teacher is trying to teach and the student can highlight/take away the most important information. Additionally, Google Earth made this lesson fun! Being able to explore the topic on a more realistic and visual level not only helped myself as a future educator but made me realize that students could benefit from this as well. 



    From my reflection:

    The student will learn about the different economic systems and study new information that is presented to them. The pedagogical value of this lesson is indirect. The student is using this hyper-doc to learn and engage in the different resources provided and come out of this with a new understanding of economic systems. The students are indirectly asked to perform their skills and learn a new topic.


    My Lesson Plan Reflection

















    Dear Parents and Guardians,

    This letter will inform you of why I believe as your child’s teacher, how important it is to plan lessons and create objectives which promote positive learning and class engagement. Lesson plans are crucial in making sure our time in the classroom is effective! Without a lesson plan, not only can my students lose focus but myself as a teacher would be all over the place without structure. 

    While creating my lessons/lesson plans, I always have a few main concerns in mind. My goal is to create lessons that will not only teach my students new topics and for them to gain new knowledge, but for the lesson to be interactive and engaging. I believe that students who interact in fun, engaging tasks benefit much more from the lesson. For example, when teaching a social studies lesson, I would have my students come up to the board and share their ideas or create a matching activity. This also emphasizes the idea of retaining information! In my classroom, I use different methods of teaching such as direct, indirect, behavioral, social, experiential, etc. All of these strategies focus on a different idea in a classroom setting. An example of experiential learning is when students learn by doing. From experience, I benefit from doing something myself as it teaches me along the way of my learning process. If students complete a task individually, they will remember what they learned and how they got there. Additionally, when students learn from experience they will be able to share their discoveries with their classmates and work towards collaborative learning! Some lesson plans involve individual assignments and some involve group work. But, all of my lesson plans contain an end goal and the steps/processes in between that allow my students and I to reach that end goal successfully. 

    Let’s talk about objectives! For example, if I were to give my students a set of ten flashcards on new literary terms, I expect them to use them to explore the meanings. The next step would be to give a quiz on the terms to test their knowledge and understanding of the new terms they have studied. So, here is what my objective will look like:

    “Given a quiz on literary terms, the student will score a 10/10 on the quiz.”

    Objectives are designed to have a clear set goal for the student based on the teacher’s instruction. It is very important to set these objectives so the students know what their expected learning outcome is. 

    Overall, creating lesson plans and setting objectives provide order in my classroom and help me efficiently guide children into great learners! Incorporating different methods/strategies of teaching into my lessons also allow my students to experience change in their learning process which often benefits everyone!


    Thank you,

    Miss. Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-Lab Reflection

Group 3 Reflection - Fieldwork