Week 11

Week 11 

Teaching Civics

reading

  • What qualities make you unique? What qualities make other people unique?
I think a quality that makes me unique is my patience. From a young age, I learned to be patient and I grew up fast. I spent a lot of time by myself as my mom spent most of my childhood in and out of the hospital. When my mom came home from the hospital, I learned to take care of her while my dad was at work. My mom is now disabled from dealing with cancer and many surgeries, but I am beyond thankful she is still here with me today. I learned patience through cooking and giving my mom medicines. I carry this through my teaching experiences and whenever I get to work with kids. In my future classroom, I will always remember how I learned to be patient and take that with me when students need me or act inappropriately. 

  • What can we learn from stories different than our own?
Obviously, everyone comes from different background and tells different stories that makes their life different and who they are! We can learn why someone acts the way they do and why. Also, we can feel sympathy towards a story that might relate to our own! 

  • What will you do to spread love and acceptance?
I will use posters with positive quotes, read stories that students can relate to, and make sure every student is comforted and feels safe to be a student in my classroom with my words and presence. I want to be a teacher that guides children in life as well as school and want to be someone they feel they can come talk to.

  • What do your actions say about what kind of person you are?
I believe that I am a very compassionate and understanding person to anyone who treats me the same way in return. I feel that I am a very generous person to all of my family and friends. 

  • What did you do when you saw someone being hurt?
When someone is hurt, I will help to my best ability or call a medical professional to help correctly. 


iCivics Website Discoveries:

This website contains many valuable and useful information such as a topic with a lesson plan and a grade level to choose from. I really liked how there is options to incorporate vocabulary and even group work activity ideas. I think this can be a very useful and beneficial resource for teachers teaching history! Students can benefit from the information teachers will use from the website! 


Explore: 


Explain: 


Students need to feel the positivity that is desired in the classroom. It is important for them to realize what goes on in the world around them but they are children who are still developing and need to be surrounded by fairness. Classrooms should be a safe environment for any type of student! 


There are many types of diversity, this video displays how it is important to show that everyone should feel safe despite the differences students may have. In particular, the parents of the students in the school in this video want their children to experience all different types of diversity. The activity the teacher had her students do showed how observant students are and it was fun to them that people are different, but can share many similarities! 

Evaluate:
The students in this video took initiative to make a change, and their teacher was very supportive of them along their journey. These students are able to feel the power of helping others in need. 


Naturalization Test comments:
This test is a great way to test your knowledge and learn some new things about our country! 




I chose this book to discuss in class as I feel students can benefit from this text!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-Lab Reflection

Group 3 Reflection - Fieldwork